Monday, October 8, 2012

Nostalgia in Lemon Tea Cakes

My husband always raved about the tea cakes his mama used to make. It was an old recipe, something handed down and down ... I couldn't find anything even close to the recipe until I found a book about living in the 1800s and this peculiar recipe for tea cakes inside. I made a few minor adjustments, added lemon and he nearly melted as he took his first bite. I nailed it, his mama's lemon tea cakes. This has since become a favorite with our children, friends and extended family. Try them.

Lemon Tea Cakes

1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract

Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well blended. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for chatting with Sweet Mercy!!